The 8th Day of Christmas Cookies brings a simpler cookie for you, and one the kids will love to help with, Cherry Kisses.
This pretty pink cookie with bits of cherry and a chocolate kiss on top, is definitely a kid pleaser. Children of all ages will adore watching the pale batter grow a lovely pink both from the maraschino cherry juice and the drops of red food color, and pressing the unwrapped chocolate kisses into the warm cookies is delightful. Many children have trouble with gluten, and these are a fun way to include them in the cookie making process.
CHERRY KISSES (GLUTEN FREE)
- 1 Cup Butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons Maraschino Cherry Juice, from the jar
- 1/2 teaspoon Gluten Free Almond Extract
- 3 to 4 Drops of Red Food Coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Maraschino Cherries, chopped into small pieces
- 2 Cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour with Xanthan Gum OR 2 Cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Without Xanthan Gum + 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- Approximately 48 Unwrapped Chocolate Kiss Candies, Any Flavor (Suggested flavors: Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, White Chocolate Striped, Cherry Chocolate)
Heat the oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix softened butter and powdered sugar until well combined. Add the maraschino cherry liquid, almond extract, food color, and salt. Stir until thoroughly mixed, and the batter is the shade of pink that you want.
Stir in the chopped maraschino cherries until well mixed. Add the gluten free all purpose flour and coconut flour, and mix until thoroughly combined. If the dough is very soft, let it rest in the refrigerator for up to an hour for easier rolling.
Roll dough in 1″ balls, and place on an ungreased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet 2″ apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges start to turn a golden brown color.
Remove from the oven and immediately place an unwrapped chocolate kiss in the center of each cookie, pressing firmly down about half way. When all of the cookies on the cookie sheet have had their chocolate kiss placed, remove cookies to a cooling rack. Let cookies cool completely before storing them.
*The chocolate kiss in the center will melt completely from the heat of the cookie. Touching the candy during this time will distort the shape of the kiss. The cookie will cool much faster than the chocolate, so avoid moving, touching, or storing the cookies until the chocolate has hardened for the best appearance.
Enjoy making and eating these cheery Cherry Kisses this holiday season. They are such fun to make as a family, and that is what holidays are all about isn’t it? Making happy memories with those you love.